Thursday 22 December 2011

The Perfect Hostess

Being away from home over the holidays is harder than I thought.  As Christmas draws close, I find myself feeling a bit homesick, missing the snow, the traditions and family.  When I came to Malaysia I didn’t know a soul. It’s been tough to adjust to the weather and the big city but it hasn’t been hard to meet people.

I have been welcomed into so many homes.  The kindness of the “strangers” I have met in Malaysia is more than I ever could have imagined.  Ching Ching and Rhonwyn make me feel like one of the girls, giving me a perfect home base, and even when I’m away from KL I still always manage to find a safe place to land.

Pong's House in Ipoh
I went to Ipoh for the weekend to visit Pong and I was blown away by her hospitality!  I brought along three guests and she prepared a wonderful meal for all of us.  We feasted on chicken, rice, pork and vegetables.  After we finished eating, she showed us around the house and we visited with the family.  If that weren’t enough, the next day she invited us back for some Nasi Lemak.  I’ve called Ipoh the land of 1,000 meals and it’s certainly living up to its name.

During my time in Ipoh, we went to visit Pong three days in a row.  The meals were delicious and the conversations inspirational, but the best part of the trip was Pong’s smiling face waiting for us at the door each time we arrived.

What a great smile
Getting to know the women in the Portraits of Perseverance project has been such a gift.  I’m learning about strength and dedication and life, plus it’s hard to feel lonely when you’re surrounded by new friends.
By: Morgan Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment