Thursday 19 January 2012

Hooray for Sulastri!



Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of meeting Sulastri Arrifin. I can only hope to travel to Malaysia this summer for that honor. Fortunately, thanks to Portraits of Perseverence and Youtube, I have been able to learn at least a little about how dedicated and diverse Sulastri's work truly is.

As someone who has worked with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender youth in China as an English teacher, it can be a true honor to work with individuals who face so many social obstacles and yet succeed and live life to the fullest in spite of them. It can also be heartbreaking to hear their stories of failure, secrecy, and negativity towards the future.

However, it is really wonderful to see how Sulastri has not only risen from her previous state as a sex worker and is now in touch with and helping others to rise out of the same situation she was once in. In my personal struggle to find a home in Nanjing and rise above my own troubles I find one quote to ring true within me: "Its not important to hold all the good cards in life. But it's important how well you play with the cards you hold". In her mission to play the cards she was dealt the best she could, she has inspired others to do the same. I too hope to be able to play my cards the best way I know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment