Monday 12 March 2012

Oh Canada... Hello again


Things I’m taking back with me:

The experience of a life time, and ten pounds... of memories.

Ok maybe ten pounds of something else too because the food in Malaysia is first class.  I will certainly miss all of the delicious dishes, but more than that, I will miss my new friends.  It’s funny how you can plan for something so carefully, analyse all the variables, and prepare until you’re blue in the face, but in the end you realize in turned out totally differently that you had expected.  Better.

I never expected to learn and change and grow as much as I did over the past four months in Malaysia.  For me, “Portraits of Perseverance” is more than a documentary. It’s more than a project that I worked on, it changed my life.  I know that is such a cliché thing to say but there’s no other way to put it.

It could be the jet lag, but being back here in Canada, I notice life looks different.  I am so excited to see my family and friends and to get back to my work but I’m not the same person I was when I left.  I have the voices of amazingly inspirational women ringing in my ears, I have their stories in my heart and that makes a world of difference.

It is really a gift to be able to see things with new eyes, a fresh perspective, to have your view opened up just a bit wider.  As a journalist, that’s kind of the whole point of my job, to help people understand one another through telling their stories and sharing experiences.  Usually I’m telling someone else’s experience but right now I’m grateful to be able to share with loved ones the events that have transformed my young life. 


From making my way alone around the urban jungle that is Kuala Lumpur, to riding a bicycle through the serene roads of Angkor Wat, looking into the smiling eyes of  a woman who has had her mobility and health taken away, or sitting down to a traditional Chinese dinner as an honorary member of the family.

I have always had a great life, but looking back on this adventure and everything I’ve gained in the process I see that I am truly blessed.
The good news is the weather here in Regina is very mild.  The snow is basically gone and it's perfect walking around the lake weather. The bad news is... I miss my hammock.

By: Morgan Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment